You maybe thinking that a Metrobank ATM Card (with MasterCard logo) or any type of Metrobank ATM Debit card can be linked to your Paypal Account. The truth is:
- It's possible to link or add your Metrobank Account as BANK ACCOUNT to your Paypal Account but it's not possible to link or add your Metrobank Account as CREDIT/DEBIT CARD to your Paypal Account
- Add your Metrobank Account as BANK ACCOUNT to your Paypal Account - which allows you to withdraw or transfer your funds from your Paypal Account to your Metrobank Account.
- The other one is add your Metrobank Account as CREDIT/DEBIT Card to your Paypal Account - which allows you for online purchases or online payments.
Why? Because Metrobank doesn't allow such linking or adding as CREDIT/DEBIT CARD. Read my case below on how I was being denied by Metrobank to link to Paypal and how my money on my Metrobank ATM account was deducted or should I say wasted during the linking process.
Metrobank ATM Card that bears the MasterCard logo
This was the Metrobank ATM card (with MasterCard logo) I used when trying to link to my Paypal Account. I'll enumerate the steps I've made when linking:
1. I logged in to my Paypal Account and go to Profile --> Add/Edit Credit Card.
2. Then, I filled-out the form below.
3. As you can see in the photo below, my Metrobank ATM account had been successfully added to my Paypal Account but it was not yet confirmed or verified. I need to confirm my Metrobank ATM in order to use it for online transactions. If unconfirmed, it cannot be used. Useless.
4. When I clicked the Confirm My Card link (to confirm my Metrobank ATM account), I got an Error Message which says, "The Card Verification System used by Paypal is currently unavailable. Please try to add your card at a later time. We apologize for this inconvenience."
5. I logged-in to my Metrobank online banking account (https://personal.metrobankdirect.com/) and checked if there were changes or deductions on my account. I noticed that my Metrobank account was deducted with Php 44.60.
6. In my Paypal account, I tried several times confirming my Metrobank ATM card but the same Error Message appeared (failed). So I rechecked the details of my Metrobank account added to my Paypal Account. I edited the expiration date/year. But actually I didn't changed the expiration date/year. I just entered the same expiration date. Then, I confirmed my Metrobank ATM account again by clicking the Confirm My Card link. Unfortunately, it failed again. I received the same Error Message again.
7. Then I checked my Metrobank online banking account, and viola... I had been deducted with Php 44.60 again. So my Metrobank atm account was deducted with a total of Php 89.20.
8. I contacted Paypal regarding this matter and they said that I needed to contact my bank. And so, I contacted Metrobank by sending an email to them. Metrobank said,
I'm so disgusted with the deductions on my Metrobank account yet the linking process of Metrobank ATM Card to my Paypal account is not allowed. When I asked Metrobank if I could retrieve the deductions, they just ignored my request."We regret to inform you that Metrobank accounts can't be linked to Paypal. For further explanation, please email at firstname.lastname@example.org You may also call our 24-Hour Customer Service Hotline at 8700 700 or Domestic Toll-Free No. 1-800-1888-5775."
Do you think Metrobank is unjust to deduct an amount of money from my account even if they don't allow Paypal linking to Metrobank ATM Debit Card? Or is Paypal to be blamed on not notifying their users regarding charges or costs of unsuccessful linking to a Debit or Credit Card?
Do you want Metrobank to allow linking your ATM card to your Paypal Account?