1. Use familiar ATMs (Automated Teller Machines) that are located in well-lighted areas.
2. Have your ATM card ready before approaching the ATM.
3. Do not use ATMs that appear to have been tampered with or otherwise altered. Report such condition to the bank.
4. Memorize your PIN and never disclose it to anyone. Do not keep these numbers in your wallet/purse or write them on the card itself.
5. Avoid using easily available personal information like your birthday, nickname, mother's maiden name or consecutive numbers as your PIN.
6. Be mindful of "shoulder surfers" when using ATMs. Stand close to the ATM and shield the keypad with your hand when encoding your PIN and transaction amount.
7. If the ATM is not working properly, cancel the transaction, retrieve your card and use another ATM. If possible, report the problem to the bank.
8. If the ATM is not working properly, cancel the transaction, retrieve your card and use another ATM. IF possible, report the problem to the bank.
9. Carefully secure your card and cash in your wallet/purse before leaving the ATM.
10. Don't let other people use your card.
11. If your ATM card is lost or stolen, report the incident immediately to the bank.
Do you have any other ideas on how to keep your ATM card and ATM transaction safe? Please post them in the comments below. We'll be happy to add them in the list together with your name.