5th ASEAN Quiz National Competition
||admin · 3908 · · 26-September-2011|
The 5th ASEAN Quiz National Competition will be conducted by the
People's Television Network, Inc. (PTNI) as the implementing agency in
partnership with the Department of Education (DepEd), Department of
Foreign Affairs (DFA), Presidential Communications Operations Office
(PCOO), Philippine Information Agency (PIA), and the Philippine
Broadcasting System (PBS).
The ASEAN Quiz is a project of the Association of South East Asian Nations Committee on Culture and Information (ASEAN-COCI) that aims to foster the spirit of healthy competition among ASEAN youth in a friendly quiz game that exposes them to ASEAN history, social, cultural, political, and economic developments in the Region.
The ASEAN Quiz will be participated in by the ten (10) ASEAN member states. It consists of two levels: the National Competition held in each member state and the Regional Competition hosted by the ASEAN Quiz Country Coordinator for the year. The Regional Competition was previously held in Thailand (2002), Brunei Darussalam (2004), Malaysia (2006), and the Philippines (2009). For the 5th ASEAN Quiz, the Cambodia is the country coordinator and will host the Regional Competition in 2012.
The National Level Competition will be held on January 23-26, 2012 at the People's Television Network Inc. (PTNI), Visayas Avenue, Quezon City which shall be participated in by the DepEd regional winners. The three (3) winners in the National Level Competition shall be the Philippine representatives to the 5th ASEAN Quiz to be held in Cambodia in 2012.
In connection with the 5th ASEAN Quiz National Competition, the local regional and division offices are encouraged to conduct the search from September to October 2011 for one (1) student who shall represent the region and compete in the National Level Competition.
The name of the winner shall be submitted to the Bureau of Secondary Education (BSE), Attn: Ms. Rosalie B. Masilang and Ms. Flora B. Homeres either at telefax nos.: (02) 632-7746 or (02) 632-7586 not later than November 4, 2011.
The student-participant in the National Competition must possess the following qualifications:
The expenses to be incurred during the region/division search shall be charged to local funds, subject to its availability and the usual accounting and auditing rules and regulations.
- must be in 3rd year high school level, between fourteen (14) to seventeen (17) years old;
- must come from either a public or private school;
- must be proficient. in the English language, both oral and written;
- must have a grade of 85 and above in the Social Studies during the first quarter of School Year (SY) 2011-2012;
- must be morally fit;
- must have good interpersonal skills/be a good team player;
- must be willing (with parental consent) to travel to Quezon City for the National Competition as well as to Cambodia for the Regional Competition in 2012 if he/she is declared as one of the top three (3) winners; and
- must meet other criteria which may be deemed necessary by the ASEAN Quiz Organizing Committee-Philippines.
For the National Competition in Quezon City, the airfare, accommodation, food and local transportation expenses of one (1) student-representative from each of the seventeen (17) regions shall be covered by the ASEAN Quiz National Competition Project Fund.
For the three (3) winners in the National Level Competition who will represent the Philippines in the 5th ASEAN Regional Competition in Cambodia in 2012, their airfare, accommodation, food and local transportation shall be covered by the 5th ASEAN Quiz Regional Competition project fund.
Enclosed are the National Competition Mechanics for reference and the Student Information Sheet which shall be accomplished by the student regional representative.
For further inquiries, please contact Ms. Rosalie B. Masilang, BSE, DepEd at telephone nos.: (02) 632-7747, (02) 632-7586 or send a message through e-mail address: email@example.com and/or Ms. Vizmalau E. Bonalos, Program Production Services Manager, People's Television Network, Inc., at telefax nos.: (02) 455-9785 and (02) 920-4389 or send a message through e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE 5th ASEAN QUIZ
MECHANICS OF IMPLEMENTATION
The ASEAN Quiz, a project of the ASEAN Committee on Culture and Information (ASEAN-COCI), is a competition on knowledge of ASEAN participated in by outstanding students from private and public high schools in the 10 ASEAN member countries. It aims to elicit the spirit of healthy competition among ASEAN youth in a friendly quiz game that exposes them to history, social, cultural, political, and economic developments in the ASEAN Region.
The ASEAN Quiz has proven to be an effective vehicle for promoting ASEAN based on the extensive participation of students from the ASEAN countries and the wide coverage as shown during the conduct of the 1St (2002), 2nd (2004) , 3rd (2006) and 4th (2009), Regional Competition ASEAN Quiz held in Thailand, Brunei Darussalam , Malaysia and Philippines respectively.
The ASEAN Quiz consists of two levels, the Regional Competition participated in the 10 ASEAN Member States and the National Competition conducted by each Member State prior to the Regional Competition.
The 5th ASEAN Quiz National Competition, Philippines shall be held on January 23-26, 2011. The venue is the PTV Broadcast Center, Visayas Avenue, Quezon City. The National Competition is held to select the top 3 students who will represent the Philippines in the 5th ASEAN Quiz Regional Level Competition to be hosted by Cambodia in 2012.
As the implementing agency, for the 5th ASEAN Quiz, the People's Television Network Inc. (PTNI) will have as partner agencies the DepEd, DFA, PCOO, PIA and PBS
The 5th ASEAN Quiz National Level Competition in the Philippines is open to 3rd year students of private and public schools as well as laboratory schools of colleges and universities nationwide, except relatives up to the second degree of consanguinity of the employees of the agencies involved in the implementation of the project.
A. The ASEAN Quiz, both National and Regional Competitions, shall be conducted in English.
B. The 5th ASEAN Quiz National Competition shall consist of 1) the local regional level competition and 2) the National Competition.
B1. Local Reqional Level Competition
The DepEd Regional Directors shall request each School Division Superintendent to search among 3rd year students of public and private schools as well as laboratory schools of colleges and universities nationwide for their respective local contenders to the 5th National ASEAN Quiz National Competition. One student shall emerge as the official representative of the region for the National Competition.
The student participant for the National Level competition must:
B2. National Competition (22-25 November 2011)
- be in 3rd year high school level, between fourteen (14) to seventeen (17) years old;
- come from either a public or private school;
- be proficient in the English language, both oral and written;
- have a grade of 85 and above in Social Studies in the first quarter of School Year 2011-2012;
- be morally fit;
- have good interpersonal skills / be a good team player;
- be willing (with parental consent) to travel to Quezon City for the National Competition as well as to Cambodia for the Regional Competition in 2012 if he/she is declared one of the top three (3) winners in the National Competition;
- meet other criteria that may be deemed necessary by the ASEAN Quiz Organizing Committee Philippines.
The local regional winners will compete in the National Competition to be held in Quezon City on January 23-26, 2012. Venue of the competition will be the People's Television Network, Inc., Visayas Avenue, Quezon City.
The three students with the highest scores shall be declared as the first, second and third place winners, respectively.
The first, second and third winners shall compete in the 5th ASEAN Quiz Regional Competition that will be held in Cambodia in 2012.
A. Who are allowed to participate
B. Who will develop the test questions?
- 3rd year high school students, at the time of the National Level Competition who possess the criteria stated in Ill B1 and with the endorsement of the DepEd Regional Directors are allowed to participate in the National Competition.
- Relatives up to the second degree of consanguinity of the employees of the implementing and partner agencies of the project shall not be allowed to participate in the National Competition.
C. What will be the coverage of the test questions?
- A Test Development Sub-Committee of the 5th ASEAN National Competition Organizing Committee to be composed of representatives from PTNI, DFA-ASEAN, DepEd, PIA and PCOO shall formulate the questions. The Organizing Committee may invite other specialists on ASEAN, (e.g. from the academe and other agencies) as deemed necessary.
D. Who will compose the Board of Judges?
- The test questions shall cover various aspects of ASEAN as a regional organization as well as the history, socio-cultural, political and economic developments of the ten ASEAN Member States.
- Suggested reference materials include, among others, official ASEAN publications from the ASEAN Secretariat in Jakarta, Indonesia and the Department of Foreign Affairs Philippines, the ASEAN website, website of the ASEAN Committee on Culture and Information, websites of all 10 ASEAN Member States and other relevant websites.
E. Official Tabulators for the National Competition
- For the National Competition the Board of Judges shall be composed of three (3) members representing ASEAN-Philippines, DepEd and a partner institution of the project or a member of the academe. A chairperson will be selected from among the members of the Board.
F. Who decides in case of protest?
- The 5th ASEAN Quiz National Competition Organizing Committee shall designate official tabulators for the Competition.
- The Board of Judges shall decide in case there will be a protest. The decision of the Board will be final.
- Prizes for the 5th ASEAN Quiz National Competition are:
P 20,000 cash plus a Medal of Recognition for the student, a trophy for the school and a Plaque of Recognition for the coach
P 15,000 cash plus a Medal of Recognition for the student, a trophy for the school and a Plaque of Recognition for the coach
P 10,000 cash plus a Medal of Recognition for the student, a trophy for the school and a Plaque of Recognition for the coach
VI. IMPLEMENTING GUIDELINES
- All the 17 regional contestants shall be awarded a Medal of Recognition while their respective coaches shall be given a Certificate of Recognition.
A. Organizational Set-up
The 5th ASEAN Quiz Organizing Committee Philippines, chaired by the PTNI (as the implementing agency) with members from the DFA, DepEd, PIA, PCOO and PBS shall oversee the implementation of the project ,formulate the necessary policies , approve the plans and activities from pre-, during-, and post-, implementation of the National Competition.
B. Procedure for the selection of student participants for the National Competition
1. The DepEd shall issue a memorandum to its Regional Offices directing them to select and submit the name of the student to represent their region based on the criteria given. The student shall accomplish the student information sheet which will be submitted to the Bureau of Secondary Education through :
Ms. Rosalie B. Masilang
Senior Education Program Specialist
Curriculum Development Division
3rd Floor Bonifacio Bldg. DepED Complex Meralco Ave. Pasig City
Telefax (02) 6327746/6327586
2. Based on the accomplished student information sheet, the Organizing Committee of the 5th ASEAN Quiz National Competition, Philippines, shall decide on the eligibility of the official representative from each of the 17 regions and formally inform the selected student of his/her participation in the National Competition.C. Arranqements for the Participants
D. Publicity and airinq of the 5th ASEAN Quiz National Competition
- The travelling expenses, board and lodging of the 17 DepEd regional contestants shall be shouldered by the National Competition project funds.
- The 17 local regional contestants shall stay in Quezon City through all the four days of the National Competition.
- During the Quiz Proper, the student representatives shall wear the recognized/accepted regional dress.
E. Timetable of the National Level Competition
- The ASEAN Quiz shall be given maximum media publicity through PTV, PBS and PIA media outlets. Private media outlets shall be invited to cover the National Competition.
- The websites of PTNI, DFA, DepEd, PCOO, PIA and PBS will be used for the promotion of the ASEAN Quiz.
- Video documentation of the National Competition shall be done by PTV.
- The National Level Competition shall be broadcast on PTV Channel 4.
SCHEDULE: January 23-26, 2012
|January 23||Arrival of Participants||Billeting|
|January 24||Morning Show Guesting on PTV 4||Fetch participants|
|January 25||Technical Rehearsal for the Quiz Proper||PTV Studio A|
|Taping of the 5th ASEAN Quiz||Call time is at 1pm|
|January 26||Departure of the Participants|
VII. The 5th ASEAN Quiz Regional Competition
- The 5th ASEAN Quiz Regional Competition will be held in Cambodia in 2012.
- The top three winners in the National Competition shall represent the Philippines in the Regional Competition.
- The travel expenses, accommodation and meals of the three (3) student representatives shall be shouldered by the 5th ASEAN Quiz Regional Competition project fund.
- Coaches of the national winners and other DepEd officials who will be joining the Philippine delegates in Cambodia in 2012 shall charge their travelling and other Incidental expenses to their sources of funds subject to the auditing rules and regulations.
Download the ASEAN Quiz Philippines Student Information Sheet
Do you have something to say? Say it in English. Don't spam. Don't use offensive language. Write as if talking to a good friend.
We aim to provide accurate and updated information. Please help us improve our article. Contact us here