Iglesia Ni Cristo (INC) organized a walk for a cause on February 15, 2014 which raised money and extended help for the victims of the Super Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan). This was not just a national event but a worldwide event that was conducted simultaneously in major cities of the Philippines and around the world.
Official Theme Song of INC Worldwide Walk 2014
Participants (mostly INC members) in the Philippines paid Php 250 for the registration fee. And participants outside the Philippines paid $30. Each received a limited edition t-shirt printed with "IGLESIA NI CRISTO WORLDWIDE WALK FOR THOSE AFFECTED BY TYPHOON YOLANDA 02.15.2014".
Here's a propose print design for the t-shirts:
Iglesia Ni Cristo World Wide Walk
INC Worldwide Walk T-Shirts
photo credit: Haly Obar
INC Worldwide Walk Key Cities and Locations
Some INC districts and locales also distributed INC Centennial memorabilia items. Participants also invited or sponsored guests who are non-INC members. The more, the merrier!
In Metro Manila, Philippines, there were three starting sites:
- Recto Avenue (in front of Issetan)
- CCP Ground
The walk starte at 8:00am. Other INC locales and districts all over the Philippines also gathered and started in their respective areas. There were also starting sites in Australia, New Zealand, Tokyo, Rome, London, Washington DC, and many more.
The INC administration is on to something big again. In 2012, INC broke 3 Guinness World Records:
- Largest dental health check: recorded 4,128 people who benefited from the dental health check
- Biggest number of blood pressure (BP) readings taken in 8 hours: recorded 8,026 BP readings
- Most numerous blood glucose level (BGL) tests taken in 8 hours: recorded 5,217 BGL tests
Breaking the "Largest Charity Walk" in Guinness World of Record
And this year, the INC was also aiming to conduct the largest walk for a cause in the world. Guinness World Record (GWR) recorded a "Largest Charity Walk" which was The New Paper Big Walk 2000 which had 77,500 participants on May 21, 2000. The purpose of the walk was to promote healthy living in Singapore. Proceeds went to education, sports and charity organisations.
In February 14, 2014, INC broke this walk record. Leo Matignas, spokesman for the SGV, the official accounting and auditing firm assigned to help observe the INC event in its Metro Manila site, said the auditing firm had validated 96,000 participants as of 2:20 p.m. on Saturday, which was already several thousands more than the participants of the Singapore event.
As of 10 a.m., Police Senior Supt. Gilbert Cruz of the Manila Police District estimated at 1.5 million the number of participants who occupied the whole stretch of Roxas Boulevard in Manila. He said the number was a "conservative” estimate, as people continued to stream into the area.
However, not all of those who went there were considered participants; only those who were able to get wristbands qualified.
Think how many INC members in the whole world. Total number of INC members is estimated to more than 10 million worldwide according to some sources. I know that INC population is a mystery to most of you. INC never reveal its membership stats nowadays.
Let's assume, if 30% of the total INC members will participate to the INC Worldwide Walk, how many participants will be expected? 10 million multiplied by 30% is equal to 3 million. So, over 3 million expected participants excluding guests or non-INC members who will also participate.
Amount of Money That Can Be Generated (Assumption)
How much money can the INC generate with these participants? If 60% participated in the Philippines and 40% outside the Philippines, that would be:
60% of 3 million = 1.8 million participants in the Philippines
40% of 3 million = 1.2 million participants outside the Philippines
1.8 million (participants in the Philippines) multiplied by Php250 (registration fee) is equal to Php 450 million
1.2 million (outside the Philippines) multiplied by $30 (registration fee) is equal to $ 36 million
$ 36 million multiplied by Php 45 (1 US dollar to Peso rate) is equal to Php 1.62 billion
Php 450 million (donations earned in the Philippines) added to Php1.62 (donations earned outside the Philippines is equal to Php 2.07 billion
So, the total amount of donations that can be generated from the INC Worldwide Walk would be Php 2.07 billion.
This amount is so much bigger than the money pledged to be donated for the Yolanda victims by the following countries:
- Australia – medical team and search and rescue worth P40.456 million; financial aid worth P323.653 million; and relief goods worth P45.456 million.
- Canada – financial aid (P205.691 million) and relief goods (P102.845 million)
- China – humanitarian aid (P4.552 million)
- Denmark – financial aid (P77.268 million)
- European Union – relief goods, financial aid (P172.816 million), and a team of humanitarian experts
- Finland – relief goods (P57.605 million), and two motor boats for rescue operations
- Germany – financial aid (P28.502 million), medical team and search and rescue unit, and relief goods
- Indonesia – relief goods (P87.045 million)
- Luxembourg – medical team and search and rescue unit, and financial aid (P23.042 millon)
- Netherlands – financial aid (P115.211 million)
- New Zealand – financial aid (P71 million)
- Norway – financial aid (P140.424 million)
- Singapore – medical team and search and rescue unit, financial aid (P6.909 million)
- Taiwan – financial aid (P8.622 million) and relief goods
- United Arab Emirates – financial aid (P431 million)
- United Kingdom – financial aid (P414.051 million)
- United States – medical team and search and rescue unit, and financial aid (P4.311 million)
- Vatican City – financial aid (P6.466 million)
- Vietnam – humanitarian aid (P4.311 million)
WOW! Isn't that amazing how INC would beat those countries above in terms of financial aid.
Is INC Bragging for Aiming Something Big?
The purpose of this big event is not to impress or brag on how many members INC has or how big and rich INC is. This event aims mainly to raise funds and help the victims of the Typhoon Yolanda. Proceeds will go to the INC Lingap sa Mamamayan ‘Kabayan Ko, Kapatid Ko’ project, which will build homes in the devastated areas. Could you imagine that even if most INC members are poor, they are here willing to help those who are in need? The greatest aim of the INC members with this event is to give glory to God and to obey His commandments which are written in the Bible:
"Love your neighbor as yourself" (Matthew 22:39 NIV).
"Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone—especially to those in the family of faith." (Galatians 6:10 NLT)
"But whoever has the world's goods, and beholds his brother in need and closes his heart against him, how does the love of God abide in him?" (1 John 3:17- Love of God)
"He who is generous will be blessed, For he gives some of his food to the poor." (Proverbs 22:9)
"This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you." (John 15:12)
"And do not neglect doing good and sharing; for with such sacrifices God is pleased." (Hebrews 13:16)
Show your love and share this event by liking this page or share the link (URL) to your blog and social media accounts (facebook, google+, twitter, instagram, tumblr, pinterest, etc.).
Glory to God and Congratulations to all INC Members!
This article will be updated from time to time. Pictures and videos of the event will soon be posted here. You may bookmark this page for easy reference.
Update: February 12, 2014
The Traffic Enforcement Unit of the Manila Police District issued an advisory today in lieu of the INC Worldwide Walk on February 14.
Transcription of the Advisory:
Republic of the Philippines
National Police Commission
Philippine National Police
National Capital Region Polic Office
MANILA POLICE DISTRIC
MANILA DISTRICT TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT UNIT
Roberto S. Oca Street, Port Area, Manila
INC CHRISTIAN FAMILY ORGANIZATION
WORLD WIDE WALK
FEBRUARY 15, 2014
4:00 AM TO 6:00 PM
- NORTH AND SOUTHBOUND LANE OF ROXAS BOULEVARD FROM BUENDIA TO ANDA CIRCLE
- EAST AND WEST BOUND LANE OF P. BURGOS FROM PALACIO ST. TO ROXAS BOULEVARD
- EAST AND WEST BOUND LANE OF TM KALAW FROM MH DEL PILAR TO ROXAS BOULEVARD
- WESTBOUND LANE OF PRES. QUIRINO FROM ADRIATICO TO MABINI AND FROM MH DEL PILAR TO ROXAS BOULEVARD
- STRETCH OF P. OCAMPO FROM MABINI TO ROXAS BOULEVARD
EXPECT HEAVY TRAFFIC THROUGHOUT THE CITY OF MANILA
RE-ROUTING OF VEHICLES
- ALL VEHICLES COMING FROM NORTHERN PART OF MANILA INTENDING TO UTILIZE THE STRETCH OF ROXAS BOULEVARD SOUTHBOUND LANE SHALL TURN AT ANDA CIRCLE GO STRAIGHT TO A. SORIANO ST. (INTRAMUROS), RIGHT TO MAGALLANES DRIVE RIGHT TO P. BURGOS, THEN GO STRAIGHT TO TAFT AVENUE, LEFT TURN TO PRES. QUIRINO, RIGHT TO PRES. OSMENA TO POINT OF DESTINATION
- ALL VEHICLES COMING FROM SOUTHERN PART OF MANILA INTENDING TO UTILIZE THE STRETCH OF ROXAS BOULEVARD NORTHBOUND LANE SHALL TURN RIGHT TO BUENDIA, LEFT TO TAFT AVENUE TO POINT OF DESTINATION
ACCESS ROAD GOING IN AND OUT OF MANILA HOTEL AND H20 HOTEL
- ONE (1) LANE GOING IN AND ONE (1) LANE GOING OUT WILL BE UTILIZED USING THE STRETCH OF INDEPENDENCE RD. AND KATIGBAK DRIVE VIA P. BURGOS.
The University of Santo Tomas (UST) suspend classes in all levels and office work on Saturday due to heavy traffic from Iglesia Ni Cristo Worldwide Walk.
Are you proud of being an INC Member?