In the interest of laying the foundation for quality in the hiring and deployment of Madrasah Education Teachers (Asatidz), the Department of Education (DepEd) has adopted a program for the training and development of these teachers at the early start of the program consisting of the following:
- Qualifying Examination (QE) in Arabic Language and Islamic Studies. All Muslim applicants must take and pass this qualifying examination to ensure of their competence in Arabic Language and Islamic Studies;
- Language Enhancement and Pedagogy Training (LEaP). Passers of the Qualifying Examination shall undergo a 23-day live-in pre-service training workshop, and only those who have completed and passed the LEaP training shall be deployed in public schools. Schools Division/City Superintendents (SDSs) shall hire the completers and passers on contract of service who shall receive a monthly allowance from DepEd;
- Accelerated Teacher Education Program (ATEP). This is a 24-month course approved by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) and Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) and delivered by partner universities. The Arabic Language and Islamic Values Education (ALIVE) teachers deployed in public schools are encouraged to enroll and take the 24 months program on full subsidy from DepEd. After completing and passing the ATEP, the enrollees shall have earned the degree equivalent of a Bachelor of Elementary Education (BEEd) and are qualified to take the Licensure Examination for Teachers (LET);
- Licensure Examination for Teachers (LET). After completing the ATEP and obtained the degree of BEEd, the ALIVE teacher (Asatidz) is already qualified to take the LET. If he/she passed the LET, a Teacher I item shall be given to him/her and to be appointed accordingly by the respective SDS.
In recognition of the increasing number of LET passers who graduated from the ATEP, the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) allotted teacher items under the special groups to include those for Madrasah teachers and distributed these items to school divisions. The Teacher I items shall be given/granted to the Asatidz who are already deployed provided they possess the following qualifications:
- Passed the QE for Arabic Language and Islamic Studies;
- Completed and passed the 23-day LEaP Training;
- Completed and passed the ATEP; and
- Passed the LET.
After accommodating those Asatidz already deployed, and there are still remaining unfilled teacher items, beginning School Year (SY) 2012-2013, school divisions with unfilled Madrasah Teacher I items can award the items to qualified Muslim teachers/applicants in accordance with the following priorities:
- Those ALIVE teachers (Asatidz) who have the education degree in BEEd and Bachelor of Secondary Education (BSEd) and have passed the LET and two (2) levels of training: LEaP and ATEP including the QE;
- Those ALIVE teachers who have the education degree in BEEd/BSEd and have passed the LET and QE for Arabic Language and Islamic Studies;
- Those ALIVE Teachers (Asatidz) who are LET passers but failed to pass the QE for Arabic and Islamic Studies shall then be required to take and pass the QE shall entitle him/her for a Madrasah Teacher I item; and
- If there is no available qualified Muslim under priority a, b, and c then the Madrasah Teacher I shall be given, first to a Muslim LET-passer applicant. If there is no Muslim LET-passer, then the item shall be given to a non-Muslim LET-passer who shall be assigned to teach Revised Basic Education Curriculum (RBEC) subjects.
In cases where a deployed ALIVE teacher is not a QE passer and has not undergone the LEaP training but was given Madrasah teacher item and appointed Teacher I, he/she shall be required to take the QE for Arabic Language and Islamic Studies and if he/she passed, shall keep the teacher item. Thereafter he/she shall undergo and finish the ATEP then take the LET. But if he/she failed in the QE the item will be forfeited and shall be separated from the service.