Home » Questions » Computers [ Ask a new question ]

Internet Explorer connection settings

Internet Explorer connection settings

I have a unique issue where a client's Internet Explorer will not browse to pages while using a wireless connection. He can ping sites in both LAN and Wireless conifgs, and Firefox is able to open sites no problem in both LAN and Wireless configs, but IE only works while connected to the LAN, not on wireless (both at work and home). I have upgraded to IE 8, Reset IE settings, Restored Advanced Settings, rebuilt the WINSOCK catalog....all to no avail. Ran anitvirus scans with no results. Any ideas?

Asked by: Guest | Views: 31
Total answers/comments: 2
Guest [Entry]

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I can't tell exactly what it was. I added an exception to the firewall with no luck, and tried different configs in the LAN settings. Eventually, having all boxes unchecked (Automatically Detect Settings would break it if it was checked) seemed to be it, but ONLY AFTER I went into the registry and "hacked" the IE keys. Found something that said to go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383} and change the IsInstalled DWORD Key to "0". I did this, logged off/on, it claimed IE was uninstalled and asked to "clean up" personal settings, which I did, then changed the IsInstalled key back to "1". After a log off/on, I browsed to iexplore.exe in Program Files, recreated the Desktop shortcut, and its working fine wirelessly ever since. Strange happenings.
Guest [Entry]

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I can't tell exactly what it was. I added an exception to the firewall with no luck, and tried different configs in the LAN settings. Eventually, having all boxes unchecked (Automatically Detect Settings would break it if it was checked) seemed to be it, but ONLY AFTER I went into the registry and "hacked" the IE keys. Found something that said to go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383} and change the IsInstalled DWORD Key to "0". I did this, logged off/on, it claimed IE was uninstalled and asked to "clean up" personal settings, which I did, then changed the IsInstalled key back to "1". After a log off/on, I browsed to iexplore.exe in Program Files, recreated the Desktop shortcut, and its working fine wirelessly ever since. Strange happenings.