Research is a process of systematic inquiry that entails collection of data; documentation of critical information; and analysis and interpretation of that data/ information, in accordance with suitable methodologies set by specific professional fields and academic disciplines.
It is conducted to evaluate the validity of a hypothesis or an interpretive framework; to assemble a body of substantive knowledge and findings for sharing them in appropriate manners; and to generate questions for further inquiries.
Importance of Research
- It’s a tool for building knowledge and facilitating knowledge.
- It’s a means to understand issues and increase public awareness.
- It helps us succeed in business.
- It allows us to disprove lies and support truths.
- It’s a means to find, gauge and seize opportunities.
- It promotes love of and confidence in reading, writing, analyzing and sharing valuable information.
- It provides nourishment and exercise for the mind.
Inquiry-based Learning (inquiry an act of asking for information)
Inquiry-based learning actively engages students in the learning process. Inquiry-based learning promotes engagement, curiosity, and experimentation.
Inquiry-based learning allows students to better understand and recall material by actively engaging with it and making their own connections.
Based on the scientists’ theories, it is better to understand than to just know.
They emphasized that students should not be taught bald facts, but should understand and explain what they are learning.
Their most famous example of this was when they asked physics students to tell them what the speed of the falling object was. Nearly all of the students would produce an equation but no student can explain what the equation meant.