Home » Articles » Legal Advice

Void marriage requires judicial recognition...

Void marriage requires judicial recognition
"In 2012, when I was just 17 years old, I married my boyfriend, Carl, by misdeclaring in all our marriage documents that I was already 18 years old. Carl and I happily lived together for two years. However, in our second year together, he started to become unreasonably jealous of men around me. He started hitting me each time he saw me talking to another man. At first, it was just negligible. Eventually, he started hitting me really hard that I had to go to work with bruises. When I could no longer endure the physical abuse, I decided to run away from him. After two years of living on my own, I met Joe, who became my boyfriend. He knows everything about Carl and he wholeheartedly accepted me despite my past. Joe and I have been living together for three years now. We both think it’s time for us to start a family of our own. I heard from the radio that it’s a requirement that I should have been at least 18 years old at the time of my marriage and that a marriage contracted by a minor is void. This gave me hope that Joe and I could get married. However, when I requested a copy of my Certificate of No Marriage, my marriage to Carl appeared on the certificate even if I was still a minor at the time of my marriage to him. How do I correct this error so that I can marry Joe?Antonette Dear Antonette,Your marriage with Carl is void as it was contracted during the time when you were still a minor. Article 35 of the Family Code of the Philippines states that marriages “contracted by any party below eighteen years of age even with the consent of parents or guardians” shall be void. This is anchored on the basic requirement that one of the essential requisites to a marriage is the “legal capacity of the contracting parties” (Article 2, Family Code). Legal capacity to contract marriage contemplates the age of the parties and the absence of any legal impediment (i.e., prior marriage or familial relationship) during the time when the parties contracted the marriage. The age requirement in contracting a marriage is further emphasized in Article 5 of the law, which states that “any male or female of the age eighteen years or upwards not under any of the impediments mentioned in Articles 37 and 38, may contract marriage.” Thus, if at the time of the marriage, either one or both of the parties are minors, the said marriage is void. However, even if your marriage is void, you cannot just simply contract a subsequent marriage on the basis that your prior marriage is void. Article 40 of the Family Code is instructive – there is a need to judicially declare a void marriage as invalid, to allow the parties therein to marry again. It specifically provides that “the absolute nullity of a previous marriage may be invoked for purposes of marriage on the basis solely of a final judgment declaring such previous marriage void.”Simply put, the law requires you to first file a petition in court to nullify your marriage on the ground that the same was contracted when you were still a minor. When the court judicially declares your marriage to be null and void, the legal impediment for you to remarry will be removed and you may legally marry Joe. This judicial declaration nullifying your first marriage will also be reflected in your Certificate of No Marriage. We find it necessary to mention that this opinion is solely based on the facts you have narrated and our appreciation of the same. The opinion may vary when the facts are changed or elaborated. We hope that we were able to enlighten you on the matter.Editor’s note: Dear PAO is a daily column of the Public Attorney’s Office. Questions for Chief Acosta may be sent to "

Please support us in writing articles like this by sharing this post

Share this post to your Facebook, Twitter, Blog, or any social media site. In this way, we will be motivated to write articles you like.

--- NOTICE ---
If you want to use this article or any of the content of this website, please credit our website (www.affordablecebu.com) and mention the source link (URL) of the content, images, videos or other media of our website.

"Void marriage requires judicial recognition" was written by Mary under the Legal Advice category. It has been read 191 times and generated 0 comments. The article was created on and updated on 15 September 2021.
Total comments : 0