Home » Questions » Information [ Ask a new question ]

Microwave will heat water but not food.

Microwave will heat water but not food.

Samsung microwave model ME18H704SFS seems to heat a cup of water just fine but it will not heat any food. Frozen food stays frozen. Turntable, lights, fan, timer, clock….all work fine. Any ideas?

ANSWERS:

"Please make sure your life insurance is paid up and check to see that working on this is not considered a suicide attempt. Personally I won’t touch one except to change a light bulb or fix a door as I have been knocked across the room just from a CRT discharge.

Solution 1:

Diode

The diode converts the A/C power output of the transformer to D/C, doubling the voltage to nearly 5,000 volts. This high voltage powers the magnetron to heat the food. If the diode burns out, the magnetron won’t receive enough voltage to operate, preventing the microwave from heating. When the diode fails, it is often visibly burned out. Inspect the diode and if the diode is burned out, replace it. If inspecting the diode proves inconclusive, test it with a multimeter that uses a 9-volt battery or put a 9-volt battery in series with the diode. When the leads are reversed, the diode should only have continuity in one direction. (Warning: The microwave oven can store a lethal amount of electricity in its high voltage capacitor, even after the microwave oven has been unplugged. Due to the high running voltage and the potential for electric shock, it is extremely dangerous to replace the electronic components in a microwave. Only a licensed technician should replace the diode.)

Solution 2:

Magnetron

The magnetron uses high voltage, high current DC power to generate the microwave frequency that cooks the food. If the magnetron burns out, the microwave won’t heat. The magnetron is not repairable—if the magnetron is burned out, you must replace it. (Warning: The microwave oven can store a lethal amount of electricity in its high voltage capacitor, even after the microwave oven has been unplugged. Due to the high running voltage and the potential for electric shock, it is extremely dangerous to replace the electronic components in a microwave. Only a licensed technician should replace the magnetron.)

Solution 3:

High Voltage Capacitor

The high voltage capacitor works with the high voltage diode to convert the output of the transformer to DC voltage and to double the output voltage. If the capacitor is burned out, the entire high voltage circuit will stop working properly, and the microwave won’t heat. To determine if the high voltage capacitor is defective, use a VOM meter with a capacitance testing capability. (“Warning: The microwave oven can store a lethal amount of electricity in its high voltage capacitor, even after the microwave oven has been unplugged. Due to the high running voltage and the potential for electric shock, it is extremely dangerous to replace the electronic components in a microwave. Only a licensed technician should replace the high voltage capacitor.)

Solution 4:

High Voltage Transformer

Microwave ovens produce a very high voltage in order to power the magnetron antenna, which emits the energy that cooks the food. When a high voltage transformer fails, it will usually arc and have a burning smell. (Warning: The microwave oven can store a lethal amount of electricity in its high voltage capacitor, even after the microwave oven has been unplugged. Due to the high running voltage and the potential for electric shock, it is extremely dangerous to replace the electronic components in a microwave. Only a licensed technician should replace the high voltage transformer.)

Solution 5:

Main Control Board

The main control board might be defective. However, this is rarely the case. Control boards are often misdiagnosed—before replacing the control board, check all of the more commonly defective parts. If you have determined that all of the other components are working properly, replace the main control board. (Caution: The microwave oven can store thousands of volts of electricity in its high voltage capacitor, even after the microwave oven has been unplugged. Due to the potential for electric shock, it is extremely dangerous to replace the electronic components in a microwave. Only a licensed technician should replace the main control board.)"

Asked by: Guest | Views: 55
Total answers/comments: 0