Home » Articles » Health

Injury Reporting under Canadian OH&S Regulations

Injury Reporting under Canadian OH&S Regulations
"""What information must be reported in the event of an injury?

The general injury reporting standards for each Canadian jurisdiction are listed below. There are rules specific to every jurisdiction. Please get in touch with the workers' compensation board directly if you need further details or clarification. Note: A portion of the text in the table below's ""requirement"" column was taken from the website for that jurisdiction. Always check with that jurisdiction for more information as information and legislation are subject to change. Requirement for Jurisdiction Workers' Compensation Board of Alberta You must file the employer report of injury form as soon as you become aware of an injury or illness if one of your employees has been hurt. The quicker we receive your information, the quicker we can decide whether your worker is eligible for benefits and services. If the accident results in, or is likely to result in: lost time or the need to modify work beyond the date of the accident, death or permanent disability (amputation, hearing loss, etc.), a disabling or potentially disabling condition caused by occupational exposure or activity (poisoning, infection, respiratory disease, dermatitis, etc.), or the need for medical treatment beyond first aid (assessment by a physiatrist), you must report it to the Workers' Compensation (dental treatment, eyeglass repair or replacement, prescription medications, etc.). To find out more, click the link. WorkSafeBC in British Columbia What to document Please get in touch with us right away if a worker: is removed from the jobsite or departs for medical treatment. misses time at work after the accident day. consciousness is lost. receives a work-related illness diagnosis. develops signs of a mental illness connected to their job or workplace. a work-related incident results in shattered dentures, hearing aids, eyeglasses, dentures, or prosthetic limbs. Employers are required to report grave events and fatalities right away. To find out more, click the link. Workers Compensation Board of Manitoba Paperwork is the furthest thing from anyone's mind when an employee gets hurt. Nobody wants to wait and keep an eye on the mail for forms that must be completed and returned in order to provide individuals with the compensation they require. The sooner the incident report reaches the WCB, the sooner it can be processed and the sooner we can get an injured worker back to health and to work. But someone has to give an incident report. To find out more, click the link. Workers' Compensation Board of Saskatchewan How to file a work injury report You must submit the Employer's Initial report of injury (E1) form to us within five days of becoming aware of a work-related injury that needs medical attention. You risk receiving a fee if you don't report within five days. Make sure the employee fills out a Worker's Initial Report of Injury (W1) form as well. Any employee who reports an injury or requests it must be given this form. There are various methods for reporting an injury: Online. Contact us by phone at 1-800-787-9288. Over the phone, a representative will complete the E1 form with you. by mail or fax: Copy of the E1 form can be downloaded. The form can be filled out manually or on a computer screen. You can also ask our office for an E1 form. To submit the form, use the fax number or postal address provided. To find out more, click the link. Workplace Safety and Insurance Board of Ontario (WSIB) According to the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, you must notify the WSIB of a workplace injury or illness within three days of learning about it if the injured worker: requires medical attention beyond first aid; is absent from work (for example, if the worker must leave work for any reason related to the injury or illness); or receives less than regular pay (e.g., working fewer hours or being paid less per hour). A workplace injury or sickness must also be reported if the injured worker: does not obtain medical care; requires modified work owing to the injury or illness; and has been performing the modified work for longer than seven days at regular pay. The reporting requirement here starts on the eighth day of the modified work schedule. Note: Modified work, which might include being given additional responsibilities, is any alteration made to a regular job while a worker recovers from an illness or injury. Even when the injured worker agrees to perform reduced work for normal pay, you are still required to notify the WSIB of the injury or sickness if the modified work lasts longer than seven days. To find out more, click the link. Quebec's Commission of Standards, Equity, Health and Workplace Safety (CNESST) Inform your employer as soon as you can if you experience a work-related injury or a disease that was brought on by your job. You must visit a doctor and give your employer a medical certificate if you have a work-related illness or injury that prevents you from working the day after the accident. To find out more, click the link. WorkSafeNB in New Brunswick If there is an industrial sickness, accident, or injury on your jobsite, you must: Provide or cover the expense of emergency transportation to a medical facility after an injury. Call 1-800-222-9775 IMMEDIATELY to report any of the following instances: a lapse in judgment Amputations Fractures (other than fingers or toes) (other than fingers or toes) burns requiring more advanced medical care than first aid vision loss in one or both eyes Deep lacerations requiring medical attention beyond first aid treatment Worker admission to a hospital as an in-patient Fatalities Any accidental explosion or exposure to a biological, chemical or physical agent, whether or not a person is injured Any catastrophic event or equipment failure that results, or could have resulted in an injury Immediate notification can be made by calling 1-800-222-9775, indicating: the location; name of person injured, if applicable; employer name; contact person; and, brief description of the incident. This notification form will give you an idea of the information you will be asked to provide. Click on link for more information. Nova Scotia – Workers' Compensation Board When you become aware that an injury has occurred: Contact the worker right away to let them know you are concerned for their health and wellness. Provide or seek immediate health care for your worker. Reassure them that you will do what you can to help them back to work as soon as possible. Report the injury to WCB Nova Scotia within 5 business days if the worker sought medical aid or lost time from work. You may also be required to report serious injuries to the Occupational Health and Safety Division at Nova Scotia Environment and Labour (see link below). Assist the worker to achieve safe and timely return to work. Note: It is your duty to report serious injuries (as soon as possible, within 24 hours). Click on link for more information. Prince Edward Island – Workers Compensation Board A workplace injury or illness is considered to be one that: Happens at work. Requires medical treatment. May or may not result in time off work. If a workplace injury occurs, as an employer, it is your responsibility to: Provide your worker with first aid, if treatment is required for the injury. Arrange and pay for immediate transportation to a doctor or medical facility, if necessary. Report all serious workplace injuries, as defined under section 36(1) of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, within 24 hrs to the WCB's Occupational Health & Safety division, 902-628-7513, and File a report to the WCB, within three days of being notified of the injury or illness. Employers can report an injury in two ways: Use our online services, or Complete an Employer's Report - Form 7 and submit it to the WCB by mail, drop off or fax. Copies of the Employer's Report - Form 7 are available at the WCB. Click on link for more information. Newfoundland and Labrador – WorkplaceNL A workplace injury is one that: happens at work, on company property or on company business; requires medical treatment; and may or may not require time away from work. When an injury happens, first make sure that the worker has received the necessary care. Then collect details about the incident including what happened, where it happened and the names of people who saw the incident. Tell the worker to report the incident to their health care provider and get copies of all necessary forms. This could include a Physician's Report (MD), a Chiropractor's Report (8/10c), or a Physio Report (PR). Remember to complete an Employer's Report of Injury (Form 7) through connect within three days of the injury. The worker will also have to complete a Worker's Injury Report (Form 6). Once we have received all the necessary forms, an Intake Adjudicator will review the claim. If the claim is accepted, you will receive a copy of the letter we send the injured worker outlining their weekly wage-loss benefit and other general information. If the claim is denied, you will receive a copy of the letter we send the injured worker outlining the reasons for denial. Both you and your worker have the right to ask for an internal review of any decision. Click on link for more information. Northwest Territories and Nunavut – Workers' Safety and Compensation Commission Employers must submit the fully-completed incident report within three business days, or will incur penalties as listed in the Workers' Compensation Acts. Please note that to report an accident causing serious bodily injury or a dangerous occurrence, you must call the 24-hour Incident Reporting line at 1-800-661-0792 as soon as is reasonably possible and complete and submit this form within three business days. Click on link for more information. Yukon – Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board Workplace injuries cannot be ignored. Whatever the severity of the injury, it must be documented. If you missed more than a day of work because of an injury, or your employee did, a report must be filed. The Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board needs three forms before it can compensate an injured worker. They are: Worker's Report Of Injury/Illness Employer's Report of Injury/Illness Doctor's First Report If first aid was given on the jobsite, and the employee required no time off beyond the day of injury, there is no obligation for employers or workers to fill out a report of injury/illness form. As an employer, you have three working days from the time you learn an employee has been injured to submit the Employer's Report of Injury. After three days, penalties may be applied. However, to protect the worker and employer the incident must be documented and the record kept for three years in case a complication arises. Click on link for more information. Canada  (Federal employees) The Government Employees Compensation Act (GECA) provides compensation to federal government employees who are injured while on the job or become ill because of their work. If the injury or illness leads to death, employees' dependants may be entitled to compensation. The Government of Canada uses provincial workers' compensation agencies to provide services for federal employees. Click on link for more information.""" - https://www.affordablecebu.com/

Please support us in writing articles like this by sharing this post

Share this post to your Facebook, Twitter, Blog, or any social media site. In this way, we will be motivated to write articles you like.

--- NOTICE ---
If you want to use this article or any of the content of this website, please credit our website (www.affordablecebu.com) and mention the source link (URL) of the content, images, videos or other media of our website.

"Injury Reporting under Canadian OH&S Regulations" was written by Mary under the Health category. It has been read 260 times and generated 0 comments. The article was created on and updated on 23 November 2022.
Total comments : 0