The PMO aims to:
- stimulate the improvement of Mathematics education in the country by awakening greater interest in, and appreciation of Mathematics;
- identify and motivate the mathematically gifted;
- identify potential participants to the International Mathematical Olympiad;
- provide a vehicle for the professional growth of teachers; and
- encourage involvement of public and private sectors in the concerted promotion and development of Mathematics education.
The 15th PMO shall be carried out in the following three (3) stages:
- Qualifying Stage: October 13, 2012 (Saturday). The qualifying/ elimination stage is a two-hour multiple choice examination consisting of thirty (30) questions, fifteen (15) of these questions are worth two (2) points each, ten (10) are worth three (3) points each and five (5) are worth six (6) points each. The competition will be between high school students in each area (Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao and National Capital Region). There will be at least one (1) testing site in each of the regions.
- Area Stage: November 17, 2012 (Saturday). The area stage is a three-hour written competition consisting of twenty (20) questions worth two (2) points each and three (3) open-ended questions worth eight (8) points each. There will be testing centers in each of the regions with qualifying participants.
- Final Stage: January 26, 2012 (Saturday). The national/final stage is a written and oral competition between the top twenty (20) participants (national ranking) of the area stage. This competition will be held in Manila. Test development (preparation, analysis and evaluation of questions and problems to be used in the competition) begins in August 2012 and continues throughout the year.
The winners of the PMO will automatically be qualified to join in the Mathematics training team for the 2013 International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO). The IMO is the largest and most prestigious international mathematics competition among secondary school students from all over the world. The representatives of the country to the IMO will be selected from a pool of high school students who will undergo intensive mathematics training during the summer 2013.
Participation of both public and private schools shall be subject to the no-disruption-of¬classes policy as stipulated in DepEd Order No. 9, s. 2005 entitled "Instituting Measures to Increase Engaged Time-on-Task and Ensuring Compliance Therewith.”
For more information, interested individuals may contact Dr. Jose Ernie C. Lope, Director, 15th Philippine Mathematical Olympiad (PMO) or Ms. Jumela E. Sarmiento, President, Mathematical Society of the Philippines (MSP), Institute of Mathematics, University of the Philippines (UP) Diliman, Quezon City or send her a message at e-mail address: [email protected], and website address: http://www.mathsocietyphil.org