Home » Articles » Legal Advice

Mistress has no legal right to demand support...

Mistress has no legal right to demand support
"My brother has a mistress who is demanding support from him. He is still married but is living away from his legal wife whom he has no communication with for about 3 years already. My brother is currently unemployed. Despite this, his mistress, who is living in his house, is persistently demanding that he regularly gives her support. My brother is only relying on the allowance I give him every once in a while and his mistress claims that she is entitled to a portion of this as her financial support. Is there any legal basis for her claim for support from me or my brother?Kris Dear Kris,The mistress of your brother has no legal right whatsoever to demand support from you or your brother. The law specifies the persons whom an individual may be obliged to support, to wit: “Art. 105. Subject to the provisions of the succeeding articles, the following are obliged to support each other to the whole extent set forth in the preceding article:(1) The spouses (2) Legitimate ascendants and descendants(3) Parents and their legitimate children and the legitimate and illegitimate children of the latter(4) Parents and their illegitimate children and the legitimate and illegitimate children of the latter and(5) Legitimate brothers and sisters, whether of full or half-blood” (Family Code of the Philippines). Considering that the mistress of your brother does not belong to any of the specified classification of relations, she has no legal basis to claim support from you and your brother. Furthermore, it can also be argued since having a mistress or concubine is penalized by law, no legal right for support can come from this illicit relationship between your brother and his mistress. Thus, to reiterate, the mistress of your brother is not entitled to demand nor receive support from you and your brother.The situation will differ, however, should you confirm that your brother has a child with his mistress. If so, your brother will be legally obliged to provide support for their child based from the above cited law. However, even supposing that your brother has a child with his mistress, his obligation to provide support may be affected by his current state of unemployment or lack of source of income which means that he has no ability to provide financial support to his child. This is because the law dictates that the amount of support to be given is also dependent on the ability of a person to give support (Article 201, Family Code of the Philippines). Thus, the amount of support that your brother may be required to give to his child will be based on his ability to provide for it. Despite this, the important fact remains that the mistress still cannot demand support for herself.Again, we find it necessary to mention that this opinion is solely based on the facts you have narrated and our appreciation of the same. The opinion may vary when the facts are changed or elaborated.We hope that we were able to enlighten you on the matter."

Please support us in writing articles like this by sharing this post

Share this post to your Facebook, Twitter, Blog, or any social media site. In this way, we will be motivated to write articles you like.

--- NOTICE ---
If you want to use this article or any of the content of this website, please credit our website (www.affordablecebu.com) and mention the source link (URL) of the content, images, videos or other media of our website.

"Mistress has no legal right to demand support" was written by Mary under the Legal Advice category. It has been read 132 times and generated 0 comments. The article was created on and updated on 15 September 2021.
Total comments : 0