Tropical Storm OFEL has a maximum sustained winds of 65 kph near the center and gustiness of up to 80 kph.
As you can see in the image above, OFEL will move west northwest at 15 kph.
OFEL is estimated to reach 60 km Northwest of Maasin, Southern Leyte on Thursday morning.
Leyte is a neighbor province of Cebu. Leyte is located at right side of Cebu.
So, we would expect OFEL to make landfall in Cebu also on Thursday, maybe on the morning depending on the storm's speed.
Cebu citizens, we must be prepared.
Storm OFEL will move to 90 km Northwest of San Jose, Mindoro Occidental on Friday morning and 460 km West of Iba, Zambales on Saturday morning.
PAGASA issued a public storm warning signal at the following areas:
Signal No. 2 (61-100 kph winds)
- Camotes Island
- Leyte ProvincesMindanao:
- Dinagat Island
- Surigao Provinces
- Agusan Del Norte
- Northern Agusan Del Sur
- Camiguin Island
Signal No. 1 (30-60 kph winds)
Residents living in low lying and mountainous areas under public storm warning signal (PSWS) #2 and #1 are alerted against possible flashfloods and landslides.Luzon: NoneVisayas:
- Samar Provinces
- Biliran Island
- Boracay Island
- Negros Oriental
- Negros Occidental
- Siquijor IslandMindanao:
- Rest of Agusan del Sur
- Northern Bukidnon
- Misamis Oriental
Residents in coastal areas under signal # 2 are alerted of possible storm surges.
Estimated rainfall amount is from 5 - 20 mm per hour (moderate - intense) within the 400 km diameter of the Tropical Storm.
Fishing boats and other small seacrafts are advised not to venture out into the Eastern Seaboards of Southern Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao due to the combined effect of the Tropical Storm "OFEL"and the Northeast Monsoon.
What to do before a storm comes?
- Prepare flashlights with extra batteries, radio (to listen for the latest news)
- Prepare emergency foods such as canned goods, biscuits, and other foods that cannot be spoiled easily.
- Prepare water container, first aid kit and plastic bags
- Check any parts of your house that are proned to be destroyed by the storm.
- Cut those long branches that may damage your house or may bring accident to you and your family.
What to do during a storm?
- Always listen to the radio or watch TV for the latest news and official announcements regarding the status of the storm/typhoon.
- Prepare and check your emergency foods, emergency lights.
- Put enough drinking water on your water container.
- Put extra clothes, important documents, canned goods, candle, lighter/match, battery and other important things in plastic bags
- Stay in the house until the storm moves away.
- If you're place is prone to flashfloods, you need to transfer to a safe place. Municipal/City governments are there to help you relocate you and your family or neighbors.
- If you planned to transfer a place, keep your electricity off, close your gas range/tank and lock your door
Are you living on the places under public storm signal? Please share your preparations, your stories/experiences below.
How prepared are you against OFEL storm?