Home » Articles » Real Estate

Lost Land Title in the Philippines: How to File Replacement?

What happens when one loses their copy of land title or it gets destroyed by fire, floods or other calamities? Where does one begin?

There are two copies of title. One is the Owner's copy. And the other one is the title filed at the Register of Deeds.

Lost Land Title in Philippines

If you lose your copy or the owner's copy, you can file a replacement. You have to go through a judicial process. For judicial proceedings, you need to have a lawyer who will represent you in court to prepare the petition because there will be court hearings. The judicial process normally takes six to nine months to complete.

If you lose the title filed at the Register of Deeds, you have two options: Administrative or Judicial.

In the Administrative Proceedings, it is the Land Registration Authority (LRA) who will issue an order to the Register of Deeds to issue a new title. This is much shorter. You don't have to go to court. 

How would you know if you can apply for Administrative or Judicial Proceedings if the copy of the title at the Register of Deeds gets destroyed? Republic Act 6732 or the Administrative Reconstitution Act tells us how. You can apply for Administrative Proceedings if at least ten percent (10%) of the total number of titles or the number of titles is not less than 500 which are lost or damaged. Otherwise, you have to go through judicial.
"Lost Land Title in the Philippines: How to File Replacement?" was written by under the Real Estate category. It has been read times and generated 2 comments. The article was created on .
Rating: 0.0/0
Warning! When posting comments, strictly observe correct spelling. Avoid incomplete words such as TY (as Thank You), Pls as Please, gud as good, dpt as dapat, etc. You can comment in English or Tagalog. If you will not follow this simple instruction, your comment(s) will not be accepted or published.
Name *:
Code *:
Total comments: 2
2 Lin   (17 October 2016 12:16 PM)
I misplaced my original title for my property in manila. I have a certified true copy. How do I go about getting an original? how much does it cost? how long does it take? Thank you

1 KARY L. BALAGOSA   (19 April 2015 8:09 AM)
ok thanks i follow thanks info. i save this for my mt. kaujong tophill's lot 14789 pcad 757 cadap-agan dimiao bohol 6305 now declared my order DIMIAO TOURIST PARK'' ADVENTURE