Tanaw: the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) Art Competition aims to support the development of Philippine contemporary art and give artists a new forum in which to display their talent. The competition challenges artists to strive for a higher level of artistic excellence and is dedicated to the recognition, encouragement, and support of contemporary art. It endeavors to enhance the BSP art collection by showcasing outstanding works of Philippine contemporary art.
1. To encourage the development of Filipino artistic talent2. To recognize artistic excellence3. To provide a platform for the exposure of Philippine art4. To raise public awareness and appreciation of art5. To recognize and honor the best Filipino artistic talent
1. The competition is open to artists who are Filipino citizens and at least 18 years of age as of 31 December 2011 and who have been declared prize winners in selected Philippine art competitions or those who have been invited by internationally recognized institutions and participated in international expositions including biennales or triennales. The selected art competitions and international expositions and institutions acceptable for purposes of eligibility are listed in Section K.
2. Professional and non-professional artists may participate in the competition.
3. Officials and employees of BSP are not eligible to participate in the competition.
D. Intellectual Property Rights
The BSP shall have perpetual intellectual property rights over prize-winning works and other non-winning works it may acquire, including the right to use, produce or reproduce, prepare derivative works of the designs for whatever purpose and whichever form as may be deemed fit by BSP without further compensation to the artist or his heirs and assignees. Furthermore, the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prize winners may not use their entries for any other purpose or submit their entries to other competitions/contests.
E. Theme - the artist may explore any subject matter or theme.
F. Entry Requirements
1. Only one entry per artist is allowed.
2. Artwork must be wall bound.
3. Any medium is acceptable such as oil, acrylic, or mixed media. No organic materials can be used.
4. No wet works are allowed.
5. All entries must be ready for exhibition, framed, and with a proper hanging system.
6. Artworks which have been exhibited before are eligible for submission. However, works that have won in other national, regional, or international competitions are not acceptable.
7. All entries must be unsigned at the time of submission. A label at the back of the painting should have the artist’s name, address, contact numbers, title of work, year made, medium, dimension, and the price of the artwork.
8. Artworks must be able to withstand the rigors of shipment and handling. The BSP shall not be responsible for any damage to the work sustained during shipment, even as it shall exert best efforts in handling. The artist shall hold the BSP and/or any of its officers or staff free and harmless for any liability/claims for loss, damage or injury to the works while in transit or in storage.
9. Entries must not exceed 183 cm. x 183 cm. with a minimum size of 91.5 cm. x 91.5 cm. in height and width with a depth not exceeding 12.7 cm. excluding frame. Maximum allowable weight is twenty (20) kilos including frame.
10. Artists found to have made any misrepresentations relative to compliance with these rules and regulations shall be automatically disqualified.
G. Submission Mechanics11. Entries with incomplete documentation or which are outside the allowable sizes and weight shall be automatically disqualified.
1. Attach the following documents:
a. Original entry form. [ Download entry form ]b. Brief biography of the artist
c. Proof of participation from international expositions and/or winner’s certificate/s from previous competitions and award-giving bodies; the original certificate/s shall be presented upon submission for verification
d. A certified true copy of the artist’s NSO birth certificate
e. Brief description of the work and the artist’s intention
f. One 5 x 5 cm. (2 x 2 inches) photograph of the artist
2. All entries should be addressed to:
Corporate Affairs OfficeBangko Sentral ng Pilipinas ComplexA. Mabini Street, Malate 1004 ManilaAttn: Regina Mercedes C. Cruz
3. Submit to the nearest BSP office as indicated in Annex A.
The schedule for the 2012 competition is set out as follows:
1. Deadline for submission of entries is on 29 November 2012.
2. Winners shall be announced in May 2013.
3. Entries shall be exhibited at the Metropolitan Museum of Manila from May to August 2013. Prizes will be awarded to the winners at the opening of the exhibition.
4. All exhibited entries except those acquired by the BSP must be claimed by the artists by 27 September 2013 at the place where they submitted their artwork. Artists who do not retrieve their artworks by the stated date are understood to have relinquished any and all claims over the said work and any such unclaimed artwork will be disposed of by the BSP as it may see fit.
5. Non-exhibited entries must be retrieved by the participants by 27 September 2013 at the place where they submitted their artwork. Artists who do not retrieve their artwork by the stated date are understood to have relinquished any and all claims over the said work and any such unclaimed artwork will be disposed of by the BSP as it may see fit.
1. The BSP shall have the sole prerogative to select the Board of Judges.
2. The decision of the Board of Judges is final. Judges may decide not to award prizes if the entries do not meet their artistic and competition standards.
3. The BSP reserves the right to withdraw any award and/or cash prize at any time should the participant violate any of the rules and regulations of the competition or if the BSP deems, in any way, that granting the participant the award will damage the reputation of the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas.
4. First, second, third prizes will be awarded. The winning entries shall automatically become the property of the BSP.
5. All entries will be judged according to the following criteria:
J. Prizese. Impact
First Prize - P500,000.00Second Prize - P300,000.00Third Prize - P200,00.00
All prizes are net of any government taxes.
K. List of selected Philippine Art competitions, biennales, triennales and other categories
- Art Association of the Philippines
- Art Petron
- GSIS Painting Competition
- Metrobank Art and Design Excellence
- Philip Morris Philippine Art Awards
- PLDT-DPC Visual Art Competition
- National Shell Art Competition
- Busan Biennale in Busan, South Korea
- Contemporary Art Forum Kitchener and Area (CAFKA), Canadian Biennale of Contemporary Art
- Dakar Biennale, Senegal
- Florence Biennale
- FotoFest, The International Month of Photo-related Arts, Houston, Texas
- Istanbul Biennial, Turkey
- Kitakyushu Biennial, Japan
- Kwangju Biennale (also spelled Gwangju), South Korea
- Liverpool Biennial, UK
- Manifesta, European Biennale of contemporary art in different
- Media City Seoul International Media Art Biennale, South Korea
- São Paulo Art Biennial in São Paulo
- Shanghai Biennial in Shanghai
- Sharjah Biennial, Emirate of Sharjah, UAE
- Sydney Biennale
- Venice Biennale
- Biennale de Paris
- Asia Pacific Triennial of Contemporary Art, Queensland Art Gallery, Australia
- Echigo-Tsumari Art Festival
- Fukuoka Asian Art Triennale
- Vermont Art Studio, USA
- Cultural Center of the Philippines 13 Artists Award
- Ateneo Art Awards