Home » Articles » Finance / Wealth

What is the Difference Between Chapters 7 and 13?

What is the Difference Between Chapters 7 and 13?
"""According to the Arizona Republic, Phoenix, Arizona's bankruptcy rates have increased by 82% since 2008. Chapter 7 filings account for 81% of this increase, while Chapter 13 filings account for the remaining 19%. This demonstrates that chapters 7 and 13 are the most common types of consumer bankruptcy filings. With so many in dire financial straits and contemplating whether or not to file for bankruptcy and, if so, under which chapter, it is essential to understand the distinctions and advantages of each chapter. Consult with an Arizona bankruptcy attorney for assistance in determining the best chapter and next steps.

First, the names of the different categories of bankruptcy are derived from the bankruptcy code chapters in which they are located.

The Chapter 7 bankruptcy is a liquidating bankruptcy. Under chapter 7, a trustee will liquidate all non-exempt assets and use the proceeds, minus his fees, to repay creditors. According to Arizona's rather indulgent exemption laws, a debtor is able to retain the majority of his property, which is, to say the least, unattractive. All unsecured debts will be discharged under chapter 7, and the debtor will emerge from the bankruptcy procedure completely debt-free. Non-secured debt consists of credit card debt, medical expenses, and unsecured loans. Student loans, delinquent taxes, and secured loans such as mortgage and car payments are ineligible for discharge.

Chapter 13 is more suitable for those with a consistent income, as debts are repaid over a three- to five-year time period. This restructured payment plan is submitted and approved by the courts by the Arizona bankruptcy attorney. This enables the debtor to retain ownership of his assets. The cram-down is a very potent tool described in Chapter 13. The code permits the modification of secured debts owed to creditors in chapter 13 cram down cases. It operates in this manner. If, for example, my car is only worth $5,000, but I owe $10,000 on it, I will only be required to pay $5,000 under chapter 13 bankruptcy. The remainder of the debt will be discharged, so it is """"crammed down"""".

The snag with the cram down is that it can only be applied to vehicles acquired more than two and a half years prior to filing. Additionally, the compress down cannot be applied to primary residences. However, it can be used for second residences, rental properties, and virtually every other type of secured debt.""

" - https://www.affordablecebu.com/
 

Please support us in writing articles like this by sharing this post

Share this post to your Facebook, Twitter, Blog, or any social media site. In this way, we will be motivated to write articles you like.

--- NOTICE ---
If you want to use this article or any of the content of this website, please credit our website (www.affordablecebu.com) and mention the source link (URL) of the content, images, videos or other media of our website.

"What is the Difference Between Chapters 7 and 13?" was written by Mary under the Finance / Wealth category. It has been read 225 times and generated 1 comments. The article was created on and updated on 02 June 2023.
Total comments : 1
Mzkuqd [Entry]

buy atorvastatin 40mg generic <a href="https://lipiws.top/">order generic lipitor 20mg</a> buy lipitor 40mg pill