Home » Articles » Real Estate

How to Transfer a Land Title in the Philippines? (Most Detailed and Updated)

For many, the joys of acquiring a new property can easily be spoiled by the hassles of title transfer.
What does one do when the title of the property newly acquired is still under the previous owner's name?

How to transfer a land title or condominium title from the seller's name to the buyer's name?

Here's the most comprehensive, detailed and updated step-by-step instruction.
Land Title Transfer in Philippines
So, basically there are five steps:

1.) Gather all requirements (documents)

You have to secure all the documents from the Register of Deeds, Municipal or Provincial Assessor Office, and BIR (Bureau of Internal Revenue). What are these documents?
  • Original copy of the notarized Deed of Absolute Sale (DAS), with two photocopies
  • Owner's duplicate copy of Transfer Certificate of Title (TCT) or the Condominium Certificate of Title or (CCT) in case of sale of condominium, with two photocopies
  • Certified True copy of the latest Tax Declaration (TD), with two photocopies
  • Official receipt of the payment of Real Property Tax of the current year (at City or Municipality Treasury Office)
  • Tax Identification Numbers (TIN) of seller and buyer
In some cases, additional documents are required such as:
  • Special Power to Attorney (SPA), if the person signing on the Deed of Absolute Sale is not the owner of the property
  • Certification of the Philippine Consulate if the SPA is executed abroad
  • Sketch plan or vicinity map if zonal value cannot readily be determined from the documents submitted

2.) Assess and Pay Taxes

After gathering all the requirements, you have to secure the computation of the following taxes:
  • Capital Gain Taxes (from the BIR)
  • Documentary Stamp Taxes (from the BIR)
  • Transfer Tax (from the Municipal or Provincial Assessor's Office)
After you get the computation of the taxes, you have to pay it through the banks for Capital Gain Tax and Documentary Tax.
For the Transfer Tax, you have to pay it to the Municipal or Provincial Assessor.

3.) Process and Get the BIR Clearance

After payment of taxes, you have to go back to the BIR. You have to submit the requirements (documents listed above in Step 1) and file for the issuance of Certificate Authorizing Registration (CAR) or BIR Clearance.

You will receive a claim slip with the claim (releasing) date of this CAR. Along with this CAR, you will also received the following documents on the releasing date:
  • Original copy of the Deed of Absolute Sale with BIR stamp.
  • Owner's Duplicate Copy of the Transfer Certificate of Title (TCT) or the Condominium Certificate of Title (CCT) in case of sale of condominium
  • BIR Form 1706 (CGT) and Form 2000 (DST) with BIR stamp
  • Copies of the Tax Declaration (TD)

4.) Process the Transfer of Land Title to your Name (new owner or buyer's name)

After you get the CAR from the BIR, you need to file or submit the required documents listed above to the Register of Deeds. You need to get the assessment of the registration fees. After that, you need to pay it. And then you have to wait several months until the transfer of title is processed.

5.) Finally, process the Transfer of Tax Declaration to your Name (new owner or buyer's name)

So after you get the land title with the new owner's name (buyer's name) printed as the owner, you have to go back to the Municipal or Provincial Assessor to file for the application of the transfer of Tax Declaration. Don't forget to bring your new Land Title and other requirements listed in Step 1.

The whole process normally takes around two to three months to complete. They're easy to do if you follow each of them. Don't be afraid to consult a lawyer if you face some obstacles along the way.

Help your friends and family make their land title transfer hassle-free. Share this post to them.

Share This Post

If you like this article, we would really appreciate if you share this on Facebook, Twitter, or on any social media channels. Every share makes a huge difference and helps us write more articles like these. Thank You!

--- NOTICE ---
If you want to use this article or any of the content of this website, please credit our website (www.affordablecebu.com) and mention the source link (URL) of the content, images, videos or other media of our website.
"How to Transfer a Land Title in the Philippines? (Most Detailed and Updated)" was written by under the Real Estate category. It has been read 1550913 times and generated 87 comments. The article was created on and updated on 29 July 2020.
Total comments : 87
Pinky   (30 August 2020 4:15 PM) [Entry]

Eto po problem ko yong ate ko po bumili ng lupa hulugan po sya..kaso hindi na niya po eto kayang bayaran kasi nagkaproblema sa work nya abroad..kya pinasalo nya po sa akin..ako po nagbabayad hanggang sa matapos ko na bayaran..Mag uumpisa na po ako mgbyad for title kaso sabi ng may ari ng lupa sa ate ko pa rin daw po ipapangalan yong title kasi sa contract daw ate ko nakapangalan..Gusto ko po sana maipangalan na sa akin..total d pa naman po naumpisahan ang pagpapatitulo...Pede po ba yon na sa akin na agad ipangalan..Ano.po pedeng gawin ko..Sana mabigyan nyo po ako ng advice..Mahirap kasi sa panahon na eto na may pandemic kung mag transfer of title pa kmi ng ate ko...Kasi wala pong regular work..skelatal pa po..inaalala ko yong gastos..hassle din po kasi nasa egypt po nakatira yong ate ko..Sana mabigyan nyo po ako ng advice..Maraming Salamt po ...God Bless and Keep Safe..

rommel ymbong   (10 November 2019 9:28 PM) [Entry]

Good day,

I am rommel , from cebu lapu - lapu city. i would like to ask about requirement of mother title?

Adrian   (20 July 2019 3:30 PM) [Entry]

Tanong ko nman po kung pareho lang ba ang requirements ng pag transfer ng titulo sa isang pangalan at sa dalawang pangalan? thanks

Fred   (27 May 2019 4:55 PM) [Entry]

For your legal concerns, you may email me at dy_frederick@yahoo.com

For lost title, you must file a petition in court.

For subdivision, you need a subdivision plan and technical description.

I also handle transfer of ownership of land.

Fred   (27 May 2019 4:51 PM) [Entry]


Mario   (14 January 2019 4:20 PM) [Entry]

Im already paid the townhouse from pag ibig for over a year how ever the developer not yet follow up to transper to my name and the reason of the developer need to pay 50 th for the transper to my name. Tamanpo ba yun?

Kriz   (02 October 2018 9:37 AM) [Entry]

Hi po. Hihinge po sana ako ng advice. Bibili po kasi ako ng bahay para sa pamilya ko. Ang gusto ko po sana mangyare is lahat ng papers gusto ko malipat sa pangalan ko. Like, titulo at kung anu pa man po na kasama sa pagbili ng bahay at lupa. Sa mga attorneys po jan, ano po ba dapat kong gawin? Maraming salamat po.

Jaffrecc   (01 September 2018 8:09 AM) [Entry]

Good day po ask lng po ako kong tax declaration lng po ba yong hawak ng owner sa pag bebenta ng lupa pwede po ba kami mag pa titulo? Thanks po

Rommel   (30 May 2018 10:27 AM) [Entry]

Hi.i bought a piece of land in San Remigio. How can i transfer the title to my name. Any agency whi can do it for me?

Lesiel   (20 November 2017 8:40 AM) [Entry]

Good Day.
Ask ko lang po sana kung bibili kami ng Lupa pero tax declaration po siya at kami na daw po bahala magpatitulo. Basta magbibigay daw po siya ng Deed of Sale. Ano pong mga paraan ang gagawin namin para magpatitulo?

Maraming Salamat po.

Ronald S. Directo   (08 November 2017 7:34 AM) [Entry]

Please advise me on How to separate a title to the mother title?

Iijima Myrna   (22 September 2017 1:27 AM) [Entry]

i am living in japan for 32 years but my citizenship is still filipino how can i get ID in Philippines except my passport or alien card
when i came to cebu i find difficulty for submitting ID when buying tru credit card

a big help for me if i can have one

Vilma Araneta   (31 March 2017 6:52 AM) [Entry]

I bought a piece of land in Pansol Calamba since last October i fully paid already the lot but the problem is the title i havent received yet...the name of the developer is Sr. Sto Nino de Jesus..and they told me the processing will be a year to release and they told me this after i fully paid the lot while buying it they never told us about the processing of the lot....

The spam message is hidden. Show
christina patricio   (27 March 2017 12:57 PM) [Entry]

hi maam/ sir what if your property not already transfer to your name, and the old owner is dead in last 3 years ago?

Antonette Desabayla   (25 March 2017 8:48 PM) [Entry]

What is the process that I need to do if I'm letting my son use his fathers last name. He was already registered at our province since 2014 and he is using my last name. What are the requirements ? Me and the father is not yet married.

Jessie pascual   (24 March 2017 7:57 AM) [Entry]

I have a title that is written in spanish how can i get a copy in English

George   (22 March 2017 12:23 PM) [Entry]

How to transfer lost title of a dead person to son with 5 siblings?

Wilson G. Basong   (04 February 2017 10:18 AM) [Entry]

How to correct a mispelled name and wrong type of gender in my birth certificate?

The spam message is hidden. Show
Pie   (26 December 2016 1:58 PM) [Entry]

About how much does it cost for the transfer of land title?

lou   (13 November 2016 6:09 AM) [Entry]

I need help. I bought a land and fully paid 3 years ago, but until now the transfer of title is not given to me.

Rowena Bomediano   (12 November 2016 8:57 PM) [Entry]

Gaano po ba katagal ang transfer of land title? Yung sa akin po kasi inabot na nang 3 years pero hanggang wala parin po ang title ko. Attorney nag aasikaso nung sa akin.
Normal pa bo ba na umabot nang ganyan katagal ang processing nang tito?

Adelito Navarrete   (06 November 2016 2:52 PM) [Entry]

I am transferring our Lots to our three daughters thru " Deed of Donation ". Is this process still covered by Capital Gain Tax ?

David Tecson   (06 November 2016 2:03 AM) [Entry]

Na isanla lupa namin sa isang tao sa petsa ng napag usapan hindi naka tupad ang magulang ko na bayaran ang pinaka sanlaan lumaki ang tubo ng halagang 50k, nung i verify namin ang titulo ng lupa namin, inilipat nila ang titulo sa pangalan ng napag sanlaan. Tanung ko po tama po ba na rematahin ang lupa na napag sanlaan at ilipat sa pangalan na napag sanlaan kahit na walang abiso.

Ladesma miguel   (05 November 2016 11:16 AM) [Entry]

Where can i find the answer on comment section, my question is as the same asked by on that section

Rose vilma gonzaga   (05 November 2016 10:29 AM) [Entry]

Hello po,
Itanong ko lang bakit subrang mahal mag pa titulo ng kahit maliit na lote po ,thank you please reply me

roxan daogas   (05 November 2016 6:57 AM) [Entry]

I need to transfer my name the land that i bought pero yung may ari po is patay na,need daw kc perma niya di ko naman alam kung saan yung pamilya niya ngayon..

Nini Sangco   (05 November 2016 3:28 AM) [Entry]

What happens if after 14 years the buyer still has not transferred the tiltle to his/her name. Does the previous property owner still have rights to it?

son222   (04 November 2016 11:01 PM) [Entry]

Hello po gusto ko po sanang malaman kung may right po kamisa lupa na almost 40 years na naming tinitirahan. Ang kwento kasi ng tatay ko kung gaano kalaki
ang malinisan mo yon ay iyong pag-aari at biglang may lumitaw na ang sabi sila
daw ang may ari ng lupa at dahil hindi alam ng tatay ko ang tungkol sa karapatan
sa lupa kami pa ang bumili ng kalahati nito. Ngayon yong kalahati nito na
tinataniman namin ng gulay, puno at iba pang halaman gusto ulit nilang ibenta
sa iba dahil kailangan daw nila ng pera. Hindi po namin alam kung may hawak
silang titulo na patunay na sila nga ang may ari nito. Dahil dito na kami
namulat at lumaki kung maaari po sana ay ayaw naming ibigay na lang ng basta
basta ang lupa. May right po ba kaming ipaglaban ang lupa? Please help us,
Thank you.

Jojo Dionisio   (04 November 2016 6:15 PM) [Entry]

I bought a land in san pablo Laguna with only a tax declaration. How can i have it titled in my name

Ella   (04 November 2016 6:01 PM) [Entry]

Do I need an Absolute Deed Sale in Transferring the Title? Thanks

1 2 3 »