The objectives of the Palarong Pambansa are to:
- promote Physical Education (PE) and Sports as an integral part of the Basic Education for holistic development of the youth to become responsible and globally competitive
- inculcate the spirit of discipline, teamwork, excellence, fair play, solidarity, sportsmanship, and other values inherent in sports;
- promote and achieve peace by means of sports;
- widen the base for talent identification, selection, recruitment, training and exposure of elementary pupils and secondary students to serve as feeder to the National Sports Associations (NSA) for international competitions; and
- provide a database for a valid and universal basis to further improve the school sports development programs.
The National Executive Committee, chaired by the Undersecretary for Regional Operations, together with the Local Host Palaro Executive Committee led by the Governor of Negros Oriental as Chairman, and the DepEd Region VII Director as Co-Chairman together with the host Schools Division Superintendents (SDSs) is hereby convened.
The DepEd regional offices (ROs) shall organize their respective athletic delegations comprising the best student-athletes, coaches and officials.
The technical management as well as the financial, administrative and operational matters relative to the preparations, hosting and conduct of the Palarong Pambansa shall be under the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Legal and Legislative Affairs to be assisted by the School Sports Events and Activities Unit (SSEAU). The SSEAU shall provide technical management, secretariat/ staff, and operational services.
The sports events played in the previous 2012 Palarong Pambansa with its related general and technical guidelines shall remain in effect unless otherwise amendmed, modified or revised. In addition to these sports events and consistent with the DepEd's policy to cooperate with the programs of the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) in promoting sports where Filipinos may excel, the following demonstration sports shall be played:
- Wushu - Secondary Boys and Girls;
- Billiards - Secondary Boys
- Futsal - Elementary Girls
For more information, all concerned may contact the:
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Legal and Legislative Affairs
Department of Education
DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue
Telephone Nos.: (02) 631-0260; (02) 636-4880; (02) 633-1940
Immediate dissemination of this information is desired.